The College of Medicine, Nursing and Health Science Counselling Centreis always ready to help you with any kind of problem that you may have. Our mission, Vision and Belief clearly states that;
FSMed Counselling Centre provides a friendly, professional and confidential service to students and staff. The Centre is committed in addressing the academic, career and personal/ social development of students in a multicultural society.
As FSMed Counsellors, we are student’s advocates and partners in student achievement.
- YOU have worth and value.
- YOU have the ability to make wise decision.
- YOU need caring adults in your life.
- A counsellor can make a difference in your life.
- YOU deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
- YOU are ultimately responsible for your choices.
- YOU have strength that can be built upon.
- YOU have the power to come together with others for the common good.
- YOU should never give up, never ever give up.
What is a Counsellor?
A counselloris a person who works with students and staff on academic, career, tertiary life and personal/social competencies. The Counselling programs are focused on academic achievements, prevention and intervention activities, advocacy and social/emotional and career development. A counsellor is not a therapist. When issues go beyond the training of the Counsellor, persons needing further help will be referred to the proper institution.
What do Counsellors do?
Provides direct counselling services to students and staff individually and in support group and consultation services to staff members. They also advice students on academic planning and everyday issues as mentioned below.
Areas of Assistance Offered!
- DIFFICULT DECISIONS- Personal life; studies; not sure of chosen career.
- ACADEMIC WORK- Managing time; confidence in asking question during tutorials; motivating self to study.
- MENTAL STATE / MOOD- Stress, worry or anxiety, depression, frustrations, grief and lack of confidence.
- RELATIONSHIPS Difficultieswith boyfriend or girlfriend, partner, spouse, parents, friends, FSM staff /student.
- PERSONAL CRISIS-Break up of personal relationships; coping with health problems; sexual harassment; bereavement and addiction.
All Counselling is:
- Confidential and time-limited.
- About helping you cope with challenges or choices.
- About making decisions.
- About making changes in yourself and your life.
- About coping with strong or negative feelings.
- Give information.
- Listen to you carefully.
- Deal with your difficulties from your point of view.
- Work out with you what you’re coming to counselling for.
- Offer you appointments for as long as you think counselling is needed.
Counselling is not:
- Something you have to do because someone else told you to.
- About coming for a social or casual visit.
- Only about problems that affect your academic/personal progress.
Counsellors will not:
- Give you advice.
- Tell you what or what not to do but will help you reach your own decisions.
- Judge you.
- Mix with you socially.
- Discuss your problems with you outside of the Counselling Centre.
Why not see one of the Counsellors now!
Contact: Paul Laginikoro (Counsellor)
Hoodless House Counselling Centre
Brown Street, SUVA.
Direct Line: 3233204
Location:Small building, behind Hoodless House, towards the CWMH garage. Use to be the old Property Administration Office.