Elective Attachment in Fiji
Elective attachment is available to overseas students in medical specialties such as Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Community Medicine, Dentistry and Physiotherapy.
Medical and dental students from outside the Pacific Region have found it somewhat refreshing to do an elective of their choice in Fiji because they can undertake their elective attachments whilst enjoying the tropical climate and scenery the Fiji Islands are famous for.
Procedures in General
Electives attachments for international students are normally offered for a period of 4 to 6 weeks, subject to availability of limited places. An offer of an elective attachment placement is made on the understanding that the total duration overall of electives performed in Fiji will not exceed six weeks. International students who wish to apply for a clinical clerkship of more than 8 weeks will be charged a weekly fee to the College of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences (see details on the acceptance letter) and immigration fees of FJD190 to the Fiji Immigration Department.
Given these elective placements in Hospitals and various Health Centres, the College as a training institution has a duty of care to protect patients and not place them at unreasonable risk.
Therefore, the College will ensure that each prospective elective student meets the following criteria before a placement is offered:
- The applicant fills the Application form.
- The applicant must send, with the application form, a current authorised police record report (a "police check") on him/herself and forward ‘in confidence’ to the College.
- A reference on the student’s current bona fide status in the University in which he/she is a registered student must also be attached to their applications.
- The applicant should be in his/her final years of clinical studies at the time of the proposed elective attachment, and must have completed his/her undergraduate course in the expressed fields of interest.
- The applicant must also organise his/her own personal accident insurance, health insurance, professional indemnity insurance, and public liability insurance covers.
There is no fee charged when making enquiries on the availability of an elective attachment placement. When a placement is available the prospective student is notified and the College expects a formal reply from the student within 6 weeks of the date of the offer letter or the offer will lapse. Written acceptance of offered placements must be accompanied by a bank draft for FJD500, which is the elective fee, and should be made payable to the “Fiji National University” or bank transaction (see details on the acceptance letter).
Except in extenuating circumstances, this fee will NOT be refunded when prospective elective students cancel their placements one month before they are due to start, having previously accepted the offer.
International students who accept an elective attachment placement will be given a provisional student status of the College to allow them access to the Hospitals and the CMNHS Resources Centre and Libraries.
For queries or more information, please contact the Elective Program Coordinator on;
T :  3311700 ext.3031